Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Could Be Giving Up Beef



I think it's time for me to stop eating red meat. The reason for this is because every time I consume it, let's just say that though I have employed the soldiers in the Activia yogurt brigade, they repeatedly lose the war in the battle of digestion.

This has been a very recent occurrence. For years, I could eat beef with very few consequences. Well except for a bulging waistline, but I don't attribute that to beef eating. Honestly, beef has so many nutrients that my poor malnourished body needs. I have suffered from iron deficiency anemia in the past, and I notice I tend to crave something big and beefy and no, I don't mean sex. Even though sex is something the body needs too, right?

I live with a vegetarian, so even when there is some meat in the house, it's usually chicken or fish. However, I enjoy eating beef. I don't eat it often, but when I do, it's a lovely piece of meat for me. There's just something about chowing down on the tough flesh of a bovine that really excites me. It triggers the primal instincts, hearkening back to the days of my squatting, hunting, carcass-chowing ancestors.

So for the while, I'm thinking of going off the beef, maybe only for a little while. I'm going to miss it in the meantime. Especially those Chipotle burritos.